
Luckily for me, doing some research on Aphrodisiacs has been very entertaining. Personally, I am very interested and intrigued by sexual practices of the 15th, 16th, 17th centuries and of course before and after. Coincidently, many of these foods and medicine are stemmed from these times when sexual attraction was just as important as ruling land. Some of the most popular leaders are arguably known more for seduction techniques, orgy rituals and multiple partners (ie: Cleopatra and King Henry VII) than any political or leadership skills.
But back to aphrodisiacs! Many scientists and nutritionists today are trying to disapprove aphrodisiacs. How boring, I say! Food, too, can be sexy whether they have a chemical in them or not. Some may just look pleasurable (oysters, bananas, chocolate covered strawberries) and deserve to be present during a romantic evening.
By definition, an aphrodisiac enhances/stimulates/intensifies/restores sexual desire. (phew!) The word itself is originated by, of course, Aphrodite who is the Greek Goddess of Love and Beauty. Chemicals in certain foods enhance male performance, maintains male functionality or secrete pheromones. Actually, there are some delicacies so rare, the thought of eating the dish is a turn on. For example: the puffer fish. When cooked, if the poisonous gland is not properly removed, the ittiest bittiest taste will kill you! Danger doesn’t exactly turn me on but as we know, everyone is different.
Most Popular Aphrodisiacs
Asparagus
Chicken
Chocolate
Yohimbe
Spanish Fly
Oysters
Pine Nuts
Truffles
Sea Cucumber
Turtle Eggs
Alcohol
Bananas
Caviar
Champagne
Figs
Ginseng
I think we can come to the conclusion that what makes a particular food an aphrodisiac; they may contain a chemical that arouses sexual power, it may remind us of a sex organ (again, oysters and bananas) or possess a rarity in its kind.
So to the scientists and researchers out there who don’t believe in aphrodisiacs, I say pop open a bottle of champagne, dine on some oysters, finish with some figs and chocolate and GET LAID.
Care to impress your sweety during Valentine’s Day, his/her birthday or a random Wednesday?
Along with the interesting “factual” information I’ve found, of course I’ve found the not-so-factual information, or at least I hope it wouldn’t be true!
Odd Aphrodisiacs
Bulls Testicles (19th Century)
Rat Poison and Pepper mixed with Gin (creates a burning, yet pleasurable feeling to the genitals)
Snake Blood (Easter Asia)
Eating live Beetles
Toad Venom
Goat Testicles boiled in Milk
Black Russian Cake
Deer Antlers
Feel free to check out any references I’ve used to further enjoy learning about aphrodisiacs!!!
http://www.publishingcircles.com
http://www.medhunters.com
http://www.wikopedia.com
http://www.about.com
http://www.forbes.com
http://www.tlc.discovery.com
http://www.stirredup.net
http://www.aphrodisiology.com
No comments:
Post a Comment